Traveling can be stressful when you’re trying to eat healthily and maintain an exercise regimen. Hopefully, my advice will make your next travel experience a little less stressful when it comes to your food and exercise.
- Go grocery shopping before your trip and stock up on some portable travel foods. I will order a box of Quest bars or Oatmega bars from Amazon, and yes take the whole box. If you have leftovers you can just bring them back, better safe than sorry. I also purchase beef jerky, Justin’s almond butter/peanut butter packs, Larabars, bananas, apples, nuts/seeds bags, pre-made boiled eggs and pumpkin muffins(recipe under PŪRRecipes), whey protein powder, and fruit pouches.
- Eat a good meal before you leave for the airport. This will prevent you from being starving when you arrive. Be sure to drink a lot of water a few hours before your trip. Chances are you will not drink as much when you arrive at the airport and during the flight, this can lead to dehydration and water retention. Sip water throughout the flight and once you arrive at your destination start to drink water immediately.
- I will try to tentatively plan out a few meals for myself with the foods I packed above. For example, if our flight is early, I’ll have my usual breakfast at home, then I’ll eat yogurt with berries before I go through security, and if I need a snack on the flight I’ll have a protein bar or pumpkin muffins with almond butter.
- Check and see if your hotel has a gym if so plan some workouts out in advance. I recommend that you do your workout first thing in the morning before you start your day. I have some great travel workouts under the PŪRWorkouts tab!
- Lastly, enjoy yourself and don’t stress too much about your foods, workouts, etc. You will get back on track as soon as you get home. Just do the best you can, you should relax and recharge during your vacation… Apply the 80/20 principle to your diet and try to do a few short workouts. Once you get home, go grocery shopping, food prep, and return your normal routine.
P.S- If you don’t have time to shop before you travel, just find a restaurant at the airport that sells salads. Get a salad without the dressing and double the protein!